Dear Editor,
The article “Surviving
the Electronic Pull” included a significant point: Technology is taking over our lives and we have become overly dependent on it. Although the temptation is hard to resist, it is not impossible. I agree with the author's point because the distraction presented by technology is a powerful force in my daily life.
According to the article, the electronic "pull" exists everywhere and constantly tempts us. It is present while we're texting, while we're communicating with our friends, while we're watching the TV, or while we're playing a game. This issue is extremely serious, and everyone seems to be affected by it. We do not know how the world would be in the future generation as technology continues to develop, but we can also stop this pull. For example, the author has kept a time limit and made a solution called "police standing." We have to face this serious issue and control this temptation.
In paragraph 2, this article states: "This 'pull' is omnipresent, It exists wherever you go. In a restaurant, a TV screen might catch your attention and you'll become deaf to the outside world." This quote made me think of my daily life. When I listen to my iPod or text anyone with my phone, I become separated from the real world. I can't deny the fact that when I get focused on technology, I am cut off from personal interactions and I hardly communicate face-to-face.
The author also worries about what we will become: "If this is what the older generations are, just imagine a generation that was born with this 'electronic pull'. Will we text ourselves even when standing beside one another? Will it be offensive to speak directly to someone?" Yes, this quote affected me profoundly. I'm very curious of how the future would be like, because I believe we already have enough technology that serves all of our purposes. In my opinion, we could soon reach a stage where the standard of social interaction could change dramatically, and most of our communication would be done through technology.
Five years ago, I had to hand in all of my work through hand-written paper, and access to online grades was rare. I hadn't heard of social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter, and I remember the iPhone 1 was the most enthralling technological device I've ever encountered. Now, I'm actually writing my essay in my blog, and 80% of my homework is done through technology. Once an hour, I check Facebook and my phone, which distracts me while I'm doing my homework. Although I try to restrain myself from all the technological marvels, I feel the risk of being socially isolated or being disconnected by communicating and engaging in the real world.
"Surviving this pull, this temptation, is easier than you might think. You must continuously object to these waves that screens send. Keeping to your time limits and goals also works. You must be strict with yourself," states the author. If we do not face the reality, we would be the ones who get controlled. We have to block these distractions and temptations, and find solutions to resist from this pull.
Sincerely,
Sarah Kim
According to the article, the electronic "pull" exists everywhere and constantly tempts us. It is present while we're texting, while we're communicating with our friends, while we're watching the TV, or while we're playing a game. This issue is extremely serious, and everyone seems to be affected by it. We do not know how the world would be in the future generation as technology continues to develop, but we can also stop this pull. For example, the author has kept a time limit and made a solution called "police standing." We have to face this serious issue and control this temptation.
In paragraph 2, this article states: "This 'pull' is omnipresent, It exists wherever you go. In a restaurant, a TV screen might catch your attention and you'll become deaf to the outside world." This quote made me think of my daily life. When I listen to my iPod or text anyone with my phone, I become separated from the real world. I can't deny the fact that when I get focused on technology, I am cut off from personal interactions and I hardly communicate face-to-face.The author also worries about what we will become: "If this is what the older generations are, just imagine a generation that was born with this 'electronic pull'. Will we text ourselves even when standing beside one another? Will it be offensive to speak directly to someone?" Yes, this quote affected me profoundly. I'm very curious of how the future would be like, because I believe we already have enough technology that serves all of our purposes. In my opinion, we could soon reach a stage where the standard of social interaction could change dramatically, and most of our communication would be done through technology.
Five years ago, I had to hand in all of my work through hand-written paper, and access to online grades was rare. I hadn't heard of social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter, and I remember the iPhone 1 was the most enthralling technological device I've ever encountered. Now, I'm actually writing my essay in my blog, and 80% of my homework is done through technology. Once an hour, I check Facebook and my phone, which distracts me while I'm doing my homework. Although I try to restrain myself from all the technological marvels, I feel the risk of being socially isolated or being disconnected by communicating and engaging in the real world.
"Surviving this pull, this temptation, is easier than you might think. You must continuously object to these waves that screens send. Keeping to your time limits and goals also works. You must be strict with yourself," states the author. If we do not face the reality, we would be the ones who get controlled. We have to block these distractions and temptations, and find solutions to resist from this pull.
Sincerely,
Sarah Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment